After writing about Sea Buckthorn, I was curious about other high-impact foods that our bodies crave. Spirulina is one that pops up on drink mixes and smoothie menus nationwide so I thought I’d take a look into it and see why it’s so fabulous.
Spirulina is a type of bacteria–the good type–that grows in lakes and ponds. Researchers suggest that spirulina:
- promotes weight loss
- fights toxins in the body and removes toxic metals
- improves mental agility
- lowers cholesterol and excess triglycerides
- fights viral infection
- helps to generate new blood cells and promotes faster healing of wounds
- moderates blood sugar issues
- renews your tag at the DMV
Okay, so it won’t renew your tag but if you drink a smoothie with spirulina in it while you’re waiting in line, you’ll be strenghtening your immune and nervous systems!
Drinking lake water is not a good way to get spirulina. The most convenient ways are in powder form or in supplements like LiquaHealth. From my experience, it tastes a bit grassy but is not altogether unpleasant.
Have you tried Spirulina supplements? Which do you prefer?